The Soup Kitchen at George Street United Church was opened in the Jimmy Pratt Memorial Outreach Centre with the support of Kathy LeGrow. Since its inception in January 2002 the Soup Kitchen has fed over 30,000 people without missing a Friday.
Thanks to the patronage of Elinor Gill-Ratcliffe and government grant monies, our Soup Kitchen expanded to include a Computer Access Program. In a Needs Assessment, many Soup Kitchen clients said they required computers for job searching and internet/e-mail access. A seniors’ focus group also indicated a need for computer access.
Kitchen Services Expansion
We are currently offering a “hot breakfast” every Monday Morning for the winter months (January-March) from 8:30 AM to 10:00 AM. Husky Energy continues to serve as the corporate sponsor and provides both financial support and volunteers . All are welcome!
Through the generous support of sponsors, we are able to provide a hot, nutritious meal to 120-140 people weekly. We sincerely thank all our volunteers, as well as our corporate and individual sponsors for their continued support:
Blue Buoy Foods
East Coast Catering
Tim Horton’s (Ropewalk Lane)
CRA Social Club
Prudential Reardon Realty
Dept Municipal Affairs Staff
Ches Penney & Family
The United Way
Production Services Network
How You Can Help The Jimmy Pratt Memorial Soup Kitchen @ George Street United Church:
- volunteer in the Soup Kitchen on Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. or help in our Breakfast Program, Mondays from 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- become a sponsor of the Outreach program
- remember a loved one by giving a special gift to the outreach centre
- become a fundraising volunteer
- volunteer as a parking lot attendant for events at Mile 1. One evening has the potential to raise $400… that can make a lot of soup!
Contact our Office at 726-8775